How to Add Social Media Feeds to Your WordPress Website
Engagement is one of the most important things you need to have a successful business, this means you need to make sure that all of your customers are aware of your online presence. Embedding a social media feed onto your website can help increase your online presence and is one of the best ways to boost social media engagement. You can easily display your social media profiles and posts using a plugin, which will help to build a stronger following. Our web designers have put this blog together so you can learn how to embed social media posts onto your own website, so you can increase your social media following.
Why Embed Your Social Media and Why Is It effective?
The main purpose of embedding your social media feeds on your website is to increase engagement. If you display engaging social media content on your website, then your customers are more likely to view your social profiles and interact with them. This will then mean your customers followers can see your posts and interact with them. This is a way to increase your following. Another reason to embed and display your social media on your website is because it improves your website’s credibility. Having links to your social media profiles show potential customers that you are a legitimate business, and will make them feel more comfortable in working with or purchasing from you.
Embedded social media widgets will increase the time that visitors spend on your website, this is because they will have more opportunities to engage with your content. For example, you may have a slider widget embedded on your website. This would let your website visitors scroll through your posts without needing to leave the website. This then improves your bounce rate, which is how frequently visitors leave your website.
How to Embed Social Media Feeds
One way in which you can embed a feed or profile on your website involves building a widget and putting its HTML code into your website. Rather than spending a lot of time doing this, you can use a plugin instead. WordPress plugins add extra functionality to your website, so you may find using a plugin is the best way to do this. One of the plugins to do this that we have found that works best is Smash Balloon. Smash Balloon has plugins for many social media sites, such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Smash Balloon has a rating of 4.9 out of 5 stars, and is trusted by over 1.4 million active users. So this plugin is one of the best WordPress social media feeds plugins.
Adding Facebook Feeds
- To add a Facebook feed to your WordPress website, you need to download and activate Smash Balloon’s Custom Facebook Feed Plugin.
- Once the plugin is activated then you should go to Facebook Feed, then Settings.
- Then click the blue ‘connect a facebook account’ button to link your facebook profile to your website. A popup will appear where you will connect your facebook by logging in, you should follow the on screen prompts. You will need to select whether you want to display a Facebook page or group.
- Then click on ‘connect to this page’ to connect to the page or group that you want.
- If you don’t have the privileges required to connect to a Facebook page/group this way, you can manually connect an account instead. You do this by scrolling down the main plugin page to the box where you can enter the page name, page ID and access token.
- There is a tab at the top of the plugin page, where you can customise your Facebook feed. There is a range of settings where you can change different elements of the feed, such as the layout of the post, the style or customising the text.
- Once you have finished customising the Facebook feed, you need to add it to your WordPress website. You can add it to any page you want, by going to the page and clicking the plus icon to add a new content block. Then search for, or find the Facebook feed block and add it to the page.
Adding an Instagram Feed
- The way you add an Instagram Feed to a WordPress website is very similar to the Facebook feed process.
- Instead of using the SmashBalloon Facebook Feed plugin, you would use the Instagram feed one instead.
- You connect to your Instagram account by logging in, or manually connect using a valid Instagram access token.
- This plugin allows you to display post from a user account, hashtag, tagged content or a mix from each of these sources. The free version of this plugin only lets you show feeds from your own account, so you should think about what sources you want to display on your website.
- You can customise your feed, just like you can on facebook. But you can have a range of layout types on your Instagram feed. You can have a grid layout, a carousel of pictures or masonry feeds where you display posts in their original aspect ratios without blank space between them.
There are other plugins which display feeds from other social media sites, such as Twitter and YouTube, and they have very similar setup methods to Facebook and Instagram. Displaying social media feeds is an easy way to connect with your target audience and show off your social content. This means your website visitors can get a wider understanding of your business.