Instagram vs Pinterest: Which One To Use For Your Business
With the amount of digital and written content that is continually being shared on the internet you can see that visual content is the most important. Visual content has become one of the most important techniques for marketers today. People now have less time and this is why having visual content is the way forward for marketing.
This has given certain social media platforms to thrive like Pinterest and Instagram. Instagram and Pinterest have two very different goals this is why they have similar but different visuals. This is what we are going to look at today so you can see which one is best for your business.
Who uses what?
The audience matters when it comes to marketing. So here are the statistics for the platforms.
- 53% of adults on the web, in the age group of 18 to 29, use Instagram. And only 34% of them use Pinterest.
- 25% of adults on the web, in the age group of 30 to 49, use Instagram. While 28% of them use Pinterest.
- 11% of adults on the web, in the age group of 50 to 64, use Instagram. While 27% of them use Pinterest.
Looking at this shows where your target audience is. However, this could change over time.
What is the difference between the two?
There is no denying that both platforms are strong for visual communication, but you need to know what makes them so different from each other.
Instagram is used for:
- Take pictures and videos on your mobile device
- Edit and tweak pictures and videos
- Add different types of elements
- Share with other users
Instagram is a place where people and brands can follow each other. It is one of the most popular places for social media branding. When it comes to Instagram, people don’t want to consistently see branded content. They want to see something that is relevant to them.
Pinterest is used for:
- Discover visual content that they find interesting
- Curate content the content they find from other users
A lot of people, like myself, use Pinterest to get inspiration from and to find new content. People also use the site to find products that can help them. This is why 80% of pins are repins so people can discover new content.
Looking at the different factors you should be able to decide if Instagram or Pinterest is best for your company. What you will need to look at is:
- Your target audience
- Your marketing strategy
- Your business goals
- Your availability of time & resources
The main thing you need to do is look at who your target audience is and then decide weather you should use both platforms or just one. Personally I would use Instagram. There is a bigger audience that you can get in front of and if you use the right techniques it will become one of the most effective marketing tools that you will use.