Email Marketing Strategy and Tips for Successful Campaigns
Email marketing has been in the business for a considerable amount of time. However, over the years, the spotlight has shifted to fresh marketing channels like SEO and social media. As such, many people are skeptical of implementing the old-school email marketing strategy.
So, is email marketing still relevant in 2020?
As opposed to what most people think, email is still one of the most effective and reliable marketing strategies in 2020. According to the latest reports, 59% of marketers say that email marketing is their #1 channel for generating revenue.
How do you get started on email marketing?
Well, obviously, the first step is to collect the email list. But, just sending out bulk emails may not be the smartest move. For instance, recent data reveal that 69% of users will report an email as spam just by reading the subject line.
Here are some great tactics to help you gain bulk email listings.
- Create a subscription form on your website (if you own one). Also, make sure you keep the signup as simple as possible. Landing page signup has the best success rate of 20%, followed by the wheel of fortune (10%) and pop up (3%).
- Reward users for signing up. You can either offer discounts on their next purchase or offer free downloads.
- Make your content easy to share by adding social media sharing buttons with your email campaigns.
Can you buy an email list?
This is one of the most common questions that many novice brands ask. Why? Well, because the amount of work involved in building an email list from scratch can be quite a daunting task.
In short, yes, you can buy an email list.
But, we would highly advise against such unethical practices. Buying out an email list is only a temporary solution. In the long run, purchased lists can never perform as equivalent to email lists that are generated organically.
Purchased lists are equivalent to automated bots. They are not genuinely interested in your product. So, the chances of converting those email lists or boosting your sales through them are very slim.
Our best advice is to stick with the traditional technique of generating an organic email list.
What are some simple and effective email marketing strategies?
Some general email marketing tactics that every business, especially start-ups should be aware of are as follows –
- Implement ethical practice by asking for permission first. Every one of your email lists should be there because they choose to hear from you. This will help build a reliable and durable relationship.
- Give power to your audience by including an unsubscribe button with your email campaigns. This ensures users that they can opt-out from your emails anytime they want. Besides, it also motivates you to create quality content knowing how easy it is for users to walk out the door.
- Do not spam users with unnecessary emails. Instead, pitch your sales once a while and let them anticipate your emails. Remember, quality is always more productive than quantity.
Cost of email marketing
Email is unquestionably one of the most cost-efficient marketing tactics at present. Unlike other traditional marketing strategies, the email does not require bulk investment. General trends show that email marketing cost up to as much as 30-60 times lesser than conventional methods.
On average, a small-mid-size business spends between £1-£1000/month on self-managed email marketing campaigns. However, professional agencies can bring down the expenditure to about £300-£500/month.